Saturday, November 19, 2011

What I Wish I Would Have Known

I am not sure what inspired it, but I decided to peruse through some of my old pictures from high school on my computer.  They bring back so many memories.  High school is an interesting time, really.  Looking back, I can see it was an incredible time of growth for me, one that set the stage for the next stage of my life: college.  I had some incredible friends in high school and the pictures I saw reminded me of some memories that I believe will always be important to me.  We had some great times together.  But I was also reminded that high school is not easy.  Anyone who tells you it is clearly does not remember what it is really like.  My stroll down memory lane made me reflect on how much I have changed and grown in the past five years.  Here are five lessons that I wish I would have understood then (along with the picture that inspired them):

Lesson #1: You Don't Have to be Perfect to be Important


Yes, that is an ACT prep book in my hand.  Yes, I was on a plane, on my way to Disneyland.  And yes, I was going to be taking the ACT on my vacation, in California.  That perfect GPA and those extra few points on the ACT meant everything to me at the time, and I often based my own sense of self-worth on how well I met my unrealistic definition of "success."  I spent so much time stressing about being "perfect" that I forgot to take time to celebrate my successes.  I did not fully understand that my "achievements" were not what defined who I am.  It was the way I treated other people, my hard work, and my relationship with my Savior that truly defined who I was.  Looking back now, those things seem so unimportant, so trivial.  And I am willing to bet that my friends from high school would not say that they were friends with me because I got good grades.  


Lesson #2: Enjoy the Simple Moments 


This picture depicts one of my favorite memories from high school.  It happened rather spontaneously, without planning, and without inviting large groups of people.  It was just me and two of my best friends (I cannot remember where Emmilie was for this one...) and an elementary school playground.  I have come to realize that these are the moments that I live for.  The moments when you are with people who you can be yourself with.  The moments when you can forget any worries you might have about the future and just enjoy being together.  The moments when you realize how blessed you really are.  My favorite memories throughout my life often come in simple "moments," without announcement, and with very little grandeur.



Lesson #3: Be Grateful for the Friends Who Are Always There 




These three girls were my staple through high school.  I could have never gotten through those four years without them.  I could always count on them to be there, even when I thought I could do things alone.  And I have learned that I love having friends that no matter how long we've been apart, when we are together, it is as though no time has past.


Lesson #4: Be Grateful for the "Behind the Scenes" People 





I don't think I understood at the time how cool it was that both of these ladies took time out of their busy schedules to be at my high school graduation.  They did not have to be; I would not have thought any less of them if they were not.  But there they were, quietly offering their support and encouragement.  I know I wouldn't be where I am today without my "other moms."




Lesson #5: Family is Everything


I was never one of those teenagers who was constantly fighting with her parents, but I also don't think I realized just how much my parents cared about and just how much they were there to support me.  It is incredible that there are two people on this earth who love me unconditionally.  They have done so much to get me to where I am today, and I would not be the person I am without their support and love. I have begun to realize over the past four years just how ingenious the organization of the family is, and I am so grateful for mine.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this very much, particularly that you used the word "peruse." I don't know why, but that made me very happy. I think your next post should be about your undergrad experience so I can be in it. :) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might have made my eyes almost get wet a little.... love you!

    ReplyDelete