Everything is starting to feel so real! In less than three short months, I will be ready to begin working as a speech language pathologist! Lately I have been stressing about the future. Where will I get a job? How will I pay off my student loans? Will I be adequately prepared to provide high quality intervention to whatever population I work with? Seeing that hood and gown today has made me reflect on who and what have helped me get here - right at the brink of my career as an SLP.
The last year and a half have been quite the roller coaster ride. 2012 was an incredibly difficult year in a lot of ways, but it was also one of perseverance, faith, gratitude, and triumph. I made it. I survived the daily emotional and physical struggle of three of the most difficult, time consuming semesters of my graduate school experience, the unexpected passing of dear friend, surprise gall bladder surgery, watching my grandma struggle and fight a hard battle with a variety of health problems, then ultimately saying goodbye to her in this mortal life. I am not the same person I was when I came to campus that first day of grad school, bright eyed and brimming with excitement. I have grown and learned so much, not only about my field, but also about myself, but I have by no means done it alone. I couldn't have done it without the family and friends I have been surrounded by.
First are my parents (and my entire immediate family for that matter). I am so grateful for them. From their financial support to their emotional support, to providing a place for me to come home to where I always feel loved and important, I wouldn't be where I am without their undying love and support.
Heather. I love her. I don't think I ever completely outgrew the phase where I wanted to be just like her. She has always been an incredible example of faith and hard work and her advice always come just when I need it. From our lunches to our phone calls when I needed someone to talk to about my day, I am grateful that I get to be so close to my big sister.
ElBea. Alright, I don't have a picture of her...but my relationship with this girl is a perfect example of how Heavenly Father always allows the right people to come into my life at the right time. I can't imagine getting through SLP grad school without her. Her advice (lectures) helped me gain perspective and keep going when all I could do was hang on for the ride. And she made me feel comfortable crashing at her house whenever I needed to take a break from the stress of school. It doesn't hurt that she has the two cutest little girls I have ever known who always make me forget about any problems I have.
My classmates. I am so grateful for the people I have gotten to know at school. We've been on an incredible journey together. And we are so close to the finish line. I am excited to see what the next phase of my life brings!

I like you! :)
ReplyDelete