Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Freedom and the Open Road

Monday I decided it was the perfect day to awaken my bike Comet from his long winter hibernation and expose him to the joys of spring. The months of our separation made me almost forget how much I love him. Something about the feeling of the wind in my face and my hair blowing behind me makes me forget about any problems I may have. A quick ride on Comet immediately makes the world a little brighter.

As I rode along the Provo River trail, I had some time to think. I tried to take everything in - the sound of the water, the view of the snow-capped mountains, the smell of the river, the couple sitting on a log by the river, engrossed in conversation, the teenager I passed on his skateboard...and suddenly, it hit me; Provo has really become home for me. I still love Riverton and will always claim it as my hometown, but in so many ways Provo has become my home away from home, and no longer just because it happens to be the city that BYU is located in. I have fallen in love with so many things about Provo: the nearby mountains, the families that I've gotten to know through my job, the frozen yogurt bars popping up on every corner, the signs advertising Bridal Fairs and diamond ring sales, the local businesses to help you stock up on food storage or put your 72 hour kit together, and the general sense of service and family values prevalent in the community.

I continued my ride along the route that Courtney and I took several times as kids (which by the way, not sure how I climbed that hill as a 10-year-old - I can barely do it as a 21-year-old) and I realized part of why I love Provo. In a sense, it represents my child-like innocence and hope. As a 10-year-old the world was at my fingertips. I could accomplish anything. As I ride the streets of Provo with Comet I am taken back to this part of my childhood, and I know, once again, that I can overcome any obstacle.

My view as I rode down the hill toward Riverwoods (shockingly enough no one was harmed in the taking of this picture):



No comments:

Post a Comment